Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Good Old Fashioned Banana Bread

Banana Bread (Preheat oven to 375)

1 C. crisco shortening (not oil)
2 C. Sugar
4 Eggs
2 C. (ripe) mashed Banana
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
4 C. sifted Flour
6 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 C. nuts (chopped) Walnuts or Pecans are best.

Cream shortening and sugar together, Beat eggs until light and add to sugar mixture, mash Bananas until almost all lumps are gone but not completely. Smallish lumps are fine. Add lemon to Bananas stir gently. Set aside.
Now the dry.
Sift Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt and add to sugar and egg mixture. Mix quickly, and add bananas now. Next stir in chopped nuts.
Now you have the choice of small little loaf pans or regular 1lb bread pans...your choice.

I don't usually time mine, But for your benefit I estimate it to be 45 mins for small mini loaves at 360 degrees and at least an hour to 1-1/4 hrs for large at 375. I use a wooden toothpick or wooden skewer to test for doneness at the time when the loaves are nicely browned and starting to split on top. The toothpick should not be gooey when you test in the middle and it's withdrawn.

Enjoy warm with butter or cold all by itself.

Special hint*
I like to freeze mine and I wrap it still warm in Glad press and seal wrap and freeze then wrap in foil to prevent freezer burn.
Thawing*
Allow to thaw in the wrap, the crust softens and makes it yummier! I make my breads well in advance of holidays and it has always been the BEST!

No comments:

Hi and Welcome
A shared Recipe blog. Feel free to email me with a contribution and I'll post it. If you have a picture of the dish send that too.

If you need a recipe, type in the search box a name of something and see what I have. ...and just maybe I'll have it.
homeseider@aol.com