Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Moms Doughnuts

A family tradition, One of many that I can remember vividly. Making oodles of doughnuts from a young girl on. I remember my brother helping and he was told not toss the doughnut in the fat fryer, Did he listen? You guessed it. No. He was burned by splatters and learned a lesson. So don't throw in the doughnuts, Just touch the oil with one tip and let go easy.

Moms Doughnuts
4 eggs beaten
1 TBSP. Vanilla
2 C. Sugar
6 TBSP. melted Shortening
2 C Milk
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Almond Extract
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cardamom
5 tsp. baking powder
6-1/2 to 7 C Flour

Oil or crisco for frying

Mix all ingredients in the order given and spoon and turn unto floured board and toss in the flour till its just firm enough to handle and not sticky. roll to flatten and cut with a well floured double cutter. gather scrap and do it again.
Heat oil to 350 degrees F. Fry until brown on both sides. Turning once, Place on paper towels to drain. Tradition says turn them in sugar. We liked them plain.

We have made do with a glass and clean pill bottle for cutters especially with more workers than cutters.

And another tip the doughnut holes are good too and make a great snack. Enjoy.

No comments:

Hi and Welcome
A shared Recipe blog. Feel free to email me with a contribution and I'll post it. If you have a picture of the dish send that too.

If you need a recipe, type in the search box a name of something and see what I have. ...and just maybe I'll have it.
homeseider@aol.com